Monday, July 28, 2008

B+

I just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife and I can't stop thinking about how we all waste time thinking about the past and the future instead of focusing on the now. I try so hard to be physically present but find myself emotionally in the past constantly. Something keeps pulling me back, while I remain transfixed on the idea of moving on into the future. I've spent so much of my time waiting, waiting for something to happen. Like the time traveler's wife, so many people spend much of their lives waiting on their loves. No wonder patience is such a virtue, waiting can be agonizing. However, the wait is often what makes the experience worthwhile.
It was a good book. I really loved all the poems concerning time and love that were dispersed throughout the book. The second poem "Love after Love" by Derek Walcott particularly struck me. Here's the second half:

Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you
all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,
the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

Feast on your life...I like that. So as I sit and wait for him to call (I'm absolutely not calling him), I think of how I can feast on my life. Despite the doubt and the worry and the awkward expectation, I need to remember to be positive. My blood type and my new mantra.

No comments: